We equip participants with the tools to collaboratively challenge discrimination while working together across social differences for a healthy and diverse community.
Harmony Movement addresses the full range of equity issues in a community setting including programs for youth, volunteers, boards and more.
Diversity and Equity 101
Harmony Movement’s community programs are tailored to meet the needs of the diverse groups of participants. Our trainings are available for community members and non-profit organization staff and volunteers.
In our interactive workshops, participants will explore the benefits of diversity while gaining the language and tools to challenge prejudice, stereotyping, and discrimination in their communities.
Through our programs, participants will:
- Explore the benefits of recognizing and embracing diversity
- Gain language and tools to identify and challenge prejudice, stereotyping, and discrimination in their communities
- Examine and challenge beliefs and behaviours that can lead to unsafe and unwelcoming community environments
Dialogue Across Difference
Conversations about diversity and discrimination can be challenging and have the potential to create conflict in a community or workplace setting.
With a focus on improving communication and understanding between diverse groups in a community setting, our workshop enables participants to:
- Build an awareness of how prejudice, stereotyping and discrimination affect members of the community
- Provide a space for open conversations about issues affecting the community and beyond
- Practice leadership skills to build unity and understanding amongst workshop participants
- Planning the steps involved in taking action on the issues identified by workshop participants
By the end of the program, participants will have acquired tools necessary to recognize and build on their own leadership skills as allies and advocates for social change.
Board Equity and Inclusion Certificate
This program builds the knowledge and skills of board members for non-profit and charitable organizations so they are better able to assist with equity and inclusion implementation.
With a focus on increasing understanding and building confidence to engage in conversations in a community setting, our workshop enables participants to:
- Build a shared language and base of understanding, reflecting on the role of equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Reflect on their own identities, lived experiences, and personal biases
- Learn ways to support the development of more inclusive practices including how to integrate equity approaches into personal and organizational practices and activities
- Strategize together how board culture, make-up, governance, and staff and program support can be changed to create a more inclusive organization.
Upon completion, board members will receive a certificate of completion. By the end of the program, participants will have increased their comfort level discussing equity and inclusion topics and have an understanding of their role and actions they can take to create a more inclusive organization.